Thursday, October 8, 2009

Playlist for 10/7/09: In Praise of Like





For some reason, while listening to a new vinyl acquisition, From the Vaults of Duke/Peacock, Vol. 2, “I Like It” by Clarence (Carter) & Calvin (Scott) made me think of all the songs with “like” in the title. I decided it was worth the first hour of my show to explore. By gosh and all, it’s a thinking person’s show, see. New music this week from Vic Chesnutt, Mission of Burma and Exene Cervenka. I started a new feature that I’ll call the “Zero Dollar Quartet” or something along those lines. Essentially, I’ll take a somewhat established performer, or at least one with four albums, and play a song from their latest release and three older songs. I went with those wacky and cuddly folks from Hoboken, Yo La Tengo, this time around. I have to keep myself entertained, if not the listening audience, somehow.

For some good reading on Lester Bangs, check out this entertaining and informative post from The Hound. For all the free damn Mojo Nixon albums anyone could ever want, go to Amazon.

Download or stream the show right here. If nothing else, it's your chance to hear me mispronounce "cello" in a moment of brain deadness.

I Like It Like That - Chris Kenner - It Will Stand - The Soul Of New Orleans - Volume 2 (Charley)
I Don't Like It Like That - The Bobettes - Spazzy Answer Songs - (WFMU)
I Like it Like That - The Ventures - The Ventures - (HHO Licensing)
I Like it Like That - The 5 Royales - Monkey Hips And Rice: The "5" Royales Anthology (Rhino)

You Got the Look I Like - Nick Lowe - Party of One (Upstart)
I Like It - Clarence & Calvin - From the Vaults of Duke/Peacock (ABC)
I Don't Like It - Daddy - At the Woman's Club (Cedar Creek)
I Think She Likes Me - Treat Her Right - S/T (Soul Selects)
I Don't Like the Man I Am - Pete Molinari - A Virtual Landslide (Damaged Goods)

I Like Girls - Nervous Norvus - Stone Age Woo: The Zorch Sounds Of Nervous Norvus (Norton)
I Don't Like You - Big Hello - The Apple Album (Parasol)
I'd Like To Think So - Eugene Edwards - My Favorite Revolution (Flagship)
I Like Food - The Descendents - Somery (SST)
I Like Girls - The Know - DIY: Shake It Up! - American Power Pop II (1978-80)

I'd Like to Teach the World to Sing - Bobby Bare Jr.'s Young Criminals' Starvation League - OK -I'm Sorry ... EP (Bloodshot)
I Like Everything About You - Jimmy Hughes - The Complete Stax/Volt Soul Singles Volume 2: 1968-1971 (Stax)
I Like Them Fat Like That - Western Box Turtles - Streamline
That's What I Like - Terry Fell - Boppin' Hillbilly To Red Hot Rockabilly (Proper)
My Baby Likes to Boogie Woogie Real Low - Frankie Lee Sims - Texas Music Volume 1: Postwar Blues Combos (Rhino)

7"Six-Pack
Bring the Water - The Midwest Beat (Tax Return)
Please Don't Die - The Bomb Bassets (Lookout)
I Am Right - The Dictators (Norton)
Mighty Ranxerox - The Bottomfeeders (Scooch Pooch)
The Piper - Brian Stevens (Q Division)
Payday - Cotton Mather (Biffco)

Philip Guston – Vic Chesnutt – At the Cut (Constellation)
Little Paper Birds – Wussy – S/T (Shake It)
Feed - Mission of Burma – The Sound, The Speed, The Light (Matador)
Gravitate - Lou Barlow – Goodnight Unknown (Merge)
Progress of Love - Joe Henry – Blood From Stars (Anti)

The Willow Tree - Exene Cervenka – Somewhere Gone (Bloodshot)
Heading East - Amy Farris – Anyway (Yep Roc)
Somewhere Gone - Exene Cervenka – Somewhere Gone (Bloodshot)
Your Happiness - Greg Cartwright - Live at the Circle A (Dusty Medical)
Trash Talk - Reigning Sound – Love & Curses (In the Red)
Make Up Your Mind - Jack Oblivian – Saturday Night Part 2 (Big Legal Mess)

When It’s Dark - Yo La Tengo – Popular Songs (Matador)
Crying of Lot G - Yo La Tengo - And Then Nothing Turned Itself Inside-Out (Matador)
Barstool Blues - Yo La Tengo – Here Comes My Baby (Bar/None)
Autumn Sweater - Yo La Tengo – I Can Hear the Heart Beating As One (Matador)

Red Headed Woman – Jimmy Dickinson & the Cramps – Rockabilly Psychosis and the Garage Disease (Big Beat)
I Don’t Care – The Beguiled – Sounds of Now (Dionysus)
Glue Sniffing Revival – Al Perry – Sounds of Now (Dionysus)
Come Out and Play – Mad Violets – Time Bomb: The Big Band Theory (Skyclad)
Vanna White – The Immediates – Consumer Frenzy (Pop)
Big Black Truck – Peter Holsapple – Shake to Date (Shake/Albion)

Chicken Thighs - Andre Williams – Movin’ On With (Vampisoul)
From Warm to Cool – Wee Willie Walker – The Goldwax Story, Vol. 1 (Ace)
You Don’t Know Me at All – Bettye LaVette – The Scene of the Crime (Anti)
He’s Gone – Patti La Belle & The Blue Belles - Blame It On The Dogg: The Swamp Dogg Anthology 1968-1978 (Kent)
Shorty’s Got to Go – The Impressions with Riley Hampton Orchestra – The Birth of Soul, Vol. 3 (Kent)

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails